Friday, April 29, 2011

Service requires Sacrifice

...Why do we go on Missions?

I was going back through and watching some of my favorite talks from General Conference, and I came across the address from Elder Neil L. Anderson.

When Elders and Sisters go on missions, we are called by a Prophet, ordained and set apart to fulfill our calling.  I've talked with many missionaries who converse about how they can't wait to get back home and enjoy real life.  I'm finding out more and more that being a Missionary is one of the most "Real Life" experiences I'm ever going to have.  I'm very grateful that the Lord continues to bless me and strengthen my faith everyday.

Elder Anderson talks about how whenever we respond to a call, we will leave things behind.  This is as true for missionaries as it is for every person on this earth

Missionaries are called to not just do missionary things, but to become Christ-like Missionaries.  As Children of God, we truly are His Sons and Daughters.  He sent his Son, Jesus Christ, to be the Savior and Redeemer of all people.  We may not all have the opportunity to serve full-time Missions, but the Lord calls all of us and invites us to learn of Him and follow Him.

The invitation that the Savior extends to each of us to come unto Him is just as tangible and as important as the call to be a missionary.  Serving as a missionary for most of us formally lasts 18 months or 2 years.  Striving to become like Christ is a calling that lasts for our lifetime and beyond.

When I left to fulfill my calling to be a Missionary, there were many things that I had to leave behind. Physically, emotionally and spiritually it was difficult, but I will never regret the decision. 

For every one of us who is trying to become like our Savior, we are invited and called to leave the world behind and follow Him.  We live in the world, but we are not of the world.  There will be many challenges: physically, emotionally, mentally, and spiritually we will be tested and tried all the days of our lives.  However, we will never regret any decision that, no matter how difficult, will strengthen us and bring us closer to Christ.

I know that Jesus is my Savior, the power of His Atonement supports and sustains me everyday.  I've discovered on my mission that having His Spirit with me is the most important aspect of my life.  I know we can receive strength, comfort, peace and guidance through the Holy Ghost as we Follow Christ and strive to be worthy of that Gift.  There is no other joy in this life that can compare to those things.



Preparing the World for the Second Coming

No comments:

Post a Comment